THE Quintessential Aloo Gobhi
Aloo Gobhi is the traditional north indian punjabi dish which has its fans across the globe.
I have a long association with this dish and for me aloo gobhi doesn’t have too many variations, i think i like the way my mum made it ! and now, the way I make it 😉 too modest, eh?
This is a dry dish and is to be enjoyed with phulka and dahi ( indian bread and yogurt ), tandoori roti goes very well too ! typical dhaba style !
I am sure once you try , you too will want to make it over and over again
6-7 small Potatoes, diced
1 cauliflower , cut into small florets
1 onion finely chopped
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
2-3 green chillies, finely chopped
1 tsp ginger , minced
3 tbsp mustard oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp hing
salt to taste
red chilli powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Fresh coriander leaves, washed and finely chopped
How it’s made:
- Heat the mustard oil till the raw smell disappears.Switch off the heat
- After 2-3 Mins, turn on the heat, and add hing, cumin seeds till they splutter
- Add onions,ginger and green chillies.
- Let them cook till light golden brown.
- Then add tomatoes and the spices.Cook for 3-5 min till the tomatoes are well incorporated.
- Then add the potatoes, and mix well into the masala.
- Then add the cauliflower and put the lid on for 5-10min on simmered heat
- Take off the lid and cook on simmer for another 10min,
- Once the potatoes and cauliflower appear to be cooked ( you can check by inserting a fork ,if it pushes through easily, then you know its done. )
- Cook on high heat for another 5 min, till water evaporates and oil is glistening at the edges.