Almond Orange Cake
Need something citrus’y’ and something nutt’y’ ? It definitely has to be this Almond Orange Cake !
Divine is the word.
My taste buds kept shouting out loud that they would like something zesty and comforting,I must’ve googled several recipes but the only one that caught my eye was Michael Roux Jr’s recipe and now it has been tried tested-and tasted over a few times and every time I have been complimented a zillion times! Ok ok that was exaggeration , my family, friends loved it..and have to mention the kids gorged on it as well.
This is from now on going to be filed into my ‘to go to’ recipe folder !
Here is the recipe for your folder –
- 50g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 225g caster sugar
- 250g ground almonds
- 250g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp grated zest of orange
- 4 eggs
- 80ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 60g demerrara sugar
- 1tbsp marmalade
- Handful of toasted, sliced almonds
How’s it made
- Butter a round cake tin, Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and sugar, and add the ground almonds. Whisk the butter with the orange zest until mixed well, then add the eggs one at a time. Fold in the dry ingredients with a spoon. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 mins.
- Meanwhile,make a syrup, start with boiling the orange juice with brown sugar. Leave to cool. Once the cake is cooked, prick the base several times with a skewer and pour on the cooled syrup. Leave the cake to cool completely and then brush on a little warmed marmalade and sprinkle with a few toasted, sliced almonds.
- Serve warm with a steaming cuppa!