Pulao-Pilaf as you all might know it as, is so versatile! It can be cooked with meat, seafood, vegetables or just with a few spices.
For me it is very important to have a weekly meal plan in place and I try and adhere it to the T, if something comes up and I have nothing to hand.. a dish like this, is just the right idea!
I had a busy day yesterday and all I had in the fridge was yogurt so the first thing which came to mind was Onion pulao which would take less than an hour to cook and considering it was Friday , sleep time could be adjusted..
I made an Onion pulao as this can be eaten on its own or with your main dish such as lentils , chicken curry or just plain greek yogurt.
Kids absolutely love this rice as it is so flavoursome and team it up with yogurt gives them the required nutrition .
The children loved it, so 10/10 to the Mum!
Here’s the recipe:
1 cup rice – washed and soaked in warm water for 15 min
2 onions, finely sliced
2 tsp cumin seeds
3-4 green cardamom ;
5-7 black peppercorn
2 Tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
2 cups boiled water
- Heat the oil and add the whole spices – cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom and black peppercorns and let them splutter
- Then add your finely chopped onions
- Cook the onions till dark brown on medium to high heat and be careful not to burn them; this step will bring out the brown colour in the pulao;refer to the image above
- Add the rice and gently mix
- Add salt ,boiled water and stir again
- Increase the heat to high and let the rice cook till the water is soaked
- Then put the lid on, simmer the heat and let the rice cook for 15-20 min