Tête-à-tête with the Tart
This morning when I woke up I knew that I want to cook something different as it’s a weekend and that too a wet weekend.. which instantaneously relates to ‘comfort food ’
So, i thought what could I make which is comforting yet different.. there! How about making something healthy and hoping the kids would enjoy it as well.
Now all I had to was think of the ingredients which could form this brilliant savoury tart I had envisioned.
Spinach-mushrooms-Feta and Paneer Tart ..now that sounds yummm!
I have to be honest here, even though I was dreaming and drooling already , I had never made a savoury tart before, only watched cookery shows and thought that’s easy peasy…. so a complete risk for lunch without a backup plan ! Now that’s being b.o.l.d..;)
The only Shortcut I took was – to buy Shortcrust pastry – ‘tongue twister,’ isn’t it ! 🙂
Here’s how I made it:
1 sheet readymade – Shortcrust pastry
2 cups spinach;blanched
5-6 large mushrooms, finely chopped
2 onions, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup full fat milk
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 cup paneer ( cottage cheese )
Salt to taste
1/4th tsp red chilli powder ( optional ) ;you can use black pepper too
2 Tbsp Coconut oil
- Heat the coconut oil and add finely chopped onions and garlic and sauté well
- Add mushrooms and cook for 2 min on high heat
- Add spinach and cook till water dries up
- Add paneer , salt, red chilli powder and mix well for 2-3 min.
- Now switch off the heat and add half of the crumbled feta cheese
- Add milk after 10 minutes when the mixture has cooled down
For the Tart-
- Defrost the pasty as per directions on the packet
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 23cm (9 in) diameter loose–bottomed tart tin. Top the pastry with foil or baking parchment and fill with baking beans or dried pulses, then place in the oven and bake ‘blind’ for 15–20 minutes or until the pastry feels dry in the base. Remove from the oven, remove the baking beans and foil/paper, brush the base of the pastry with some milk, then bake for another 3 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and set aside
- Fill the baked tart with the prepared mixture and top it with the remaining half of the crumbled feta cheese .
- Place back in the oven and cook for 30-40 mins or until the filling is set and browned on top.