Aloo tikki ‘street food in style’
I love aloo tikkis also known as potato patties. My trip home would never be complete without having my favourite street food delicacies.Few of them being golgappas, momos, papdi chaat.. ah! i could go on..
Yesterday being one of those days, I thought why not try something outside the mundane , a hot snack on a Sunday evening and what better than Aloo tikki ! It undoubtedly topped the list as potatoes,can of chick peas were all in sight..
The kids were a great help! The elder one whizzed away the breadcrumbs, the baby tasted the bland combination of the crumbs and potatoes.. kitchen was buzzing with noise ( ahem! )
This is quite easy and quick to do —
1 can Chickpeas
1 small Onion ; finely sliced
2-3 cloves garlic; finely chopped
1″ ginger ; finely chopped
2 green chillies ; finely chopped
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Cumin powder
2 tsp Coriander powder
Red chilli powder -to taste
Salt to taste
Fresh Coriander -a handful
2 cups Breadcrumbs
* Boil the potatoes till the knife pierces through – set aside
* Once the potatoes have cooled down, peel and mash with a potato masher and if there a few lumps- don’t worry as it will add texture to the tikki.
* Finely chop the onions, green chillies,fresh coriander and mix into the potatoes mixture-mix well
* Add salt, coriander powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder
* Then add the breadcrumbs and give it a final mix.
* Shape into small patties.
* Add a few tablespoons of oil in a non stick frying pan on medium to high heat , for shallow frying.
* Carefully, transfer to a frying pan and fry for 1 minute each side.
Chole( Chickpeas )
* Drain the can of chickpeas- wash them and keep aside
* Heat oil in a wok, add the cumin seeds, once they splutter add the onions and green chillies and saute till golden brown.
* Add ginger garlic and cook for 1 -2 min.
* Add the dry spices and mix well.
* Add the chickpeas and cook till oil is glistening on the sides
* Add fresh coriander .
Serving ‘Street Style’
Place 2-3 patties in a plate, add a spoonful of chickpeas and drizzle with fresh whipped yogurt.
Serve with chutney of your choice..